PTAM Header


Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration

Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration

Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration

Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration
textbox border airplane icon textbox border

1930 Stinson
SM–8A “Detroiter”

NC418M

Known as “The Blue Stinson”, the logo on the side of the airplane is “Queen of the Cowlitz”. That refers to the Cowlitz River.


Specifications

Engine – Lycoming R680 225 hp

Empty Weight – 2250 lbs

Cruise Speed – 100 mph

Stall Speed – 55 mph

Seating capacity – 5 persons.

Interesting Facts – There was little left of the airplane when it was purchased in the early 1980's by Jerry Thuotte. It came with a good propeller, the main reason for Jerry's interest.

It was restored back to its original condition by Jerry and Peggy Thuotte in the 1990's and flown for the first time in over 50 years in August 1998.

The wheel pants and ring cowl were after market accessories available in the 30's. The ring cowl is original (repaired). The wheel pants are sheet metal and were specially made for the aircraft.

On loan to Port Townsend Aero Museum by Jerry and Peggy Thuotte.

textbox border textbox border


Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration

Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration

Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration

Stinson “Detroiter” during restoration